Monday, February 5, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #228 Tiles

What a blast this challenge was!  We used Paradox (Rick Roberts) along with Carole Ohl's new Bumpadox - two similar tangles that created endless fun.

Because the tangles were so alike, I opted not to include the usual "Tangled Tidbits".
Please enjoy all these beautiful tiles and happy notes.  Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Joan Delony, CZT (Florida) ~
Fun tangle...bumpadox.



From Dani (Semarang, Indonesia) and here on her blog ~
Here's my tile for this challenge. Paradox, one of my favorite tangle pattern. Thank you Adele.


From Lily (Hungary) ~
here is my tile for your weekly challenge. Zenhug:
 


A very warm welcome to Christie King (Kansas) ~
It’s been awhile since I’ve participated in a challenge. When I saw that paradox and bumpadox were the featured tangles, I knew I had to join in! Paradox is an all time favorite of mine and it was one of the first tangles I saw that introduced me to Zentangle.
Thank you for all that you do with these challenges.
Welcome to the IAST community, Christie, and welcome to our Tangled Map ~



From Mariam G (Port Hueneme, California) ~
What a fun challenge - thank you! Both patterns seemed to decide on their own where to jump in and I liked the results. Combining the two created a 3-D effect that surprised me! No real 'up' or 'down' to this tile, for sure. And thanks to Carol Ohl for her creation of 'Bumpadox'.
(in a nod to 'Groundhog Day' the movie, I think I'll do a second pass on this challenge tomorrow (-: )


From Hilary (Chicago) ~
Another couple of really cold days, so I had time for two versions of this. With the first one I decided that if one bump is good, two or three would be better. I also went with dramatic shading. For the second one, I went with a lot of color, colored paper and about eight different colored pens. How do you like my neon pink?
Every week I find myself doing something that is always a bit of a stretch for me. Thank you for that!



From Donna Matoi (Long Beach, California) ~
Your Heart Home is just so sweet and adorable! I know it is filled with love!
Here is my tile for this week! Bumpadox and Paradox! This was another fun challenge!
I loved seeing all of last weeks tiles too! So many different takes! I just love it!
Thank you for all you do to do this, it is greatly appreciated!
Have a great week and I look forward to the next IAST!



From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Attached is my Tile for - It’s A String Thing # 228 Challenge.
Loved the new tangle ‘ bumpdox’ lots of fun.
Also loved your new house Adele, a real cutie.

From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
Here my entry to IAST #228. I found Bumpadox quite difficult, but I like the outcome. I really followed the string, but it's not visible anymore. Paradox is one of my favourites. It's my remedy for heartaches. I remember drawing it a whole Sunday afternoon through, one Paradox to the next, to the next, to the next.... and it calmed the thoughts, soothed the pain and gave me comfort.
Thank you for this challenge, Adele
and a big Zen hug



From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
This ended up being a bit haphazard. I wasn't sure where I was going from one triangle to the next and from one sort of square to the next. I just kept going. I am not too fond of bumpadox. It looks a bit untidy. Once I had finished, I thought it looked like a lot of shells so I added a bit of colour. On the whole, I had a lot of fun. Thanks for that.



From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
Hope this finds you well on this SuperBowl Weekend. Personally I don’t participate, gives me time to draw!
This was a fun challenge. I bet you get tons of tiles!
Until next week..wishing you the best.



From Priscilla DeConti, CZT (Kingston, New York) ~
Loved the challenge...



From Ulrike (Gemany) ~
Here is my tile for IAST #228. It looks simple, but it wasn´t easy to do - for me. I´ve needed some tries, and this is my result.
Many greetings from Germany.




From Lin H, CZT (Florida) ~
What a fun tangle, Bumpadox! Love the lines and shading. Thanks for the challenge, Adele.




From Pat (Washington State) ~
Paradox has always been one of my favorites. Thanks for a great challenge!




From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
this weeks challenge was a great challenge for me. I often use Paradox in many ways. Bumpadox is an interesting variation of the original. But the combination of these two patterns is not so easy as it looked. I draw three versions. I choose the blue one for you. The others could be found on my blog under the link . I'm curious how others edit the topic.
Thank you for this interesting challenge!




From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Here is my Bumpy paradox with a little corner with a variation that I think looks like wood.




From Verena (Germany) ~




From Karin (Germany) ~
this is my entry to challenge no. 228.
I now feel quite hypnotized





From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
Lovely houses Adele! Sure glad January is over. Wasn't especially fond of Bumpadox but I tried.



From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
Very nice to play with this new tangle. Very interesting the outcome.
Thank you, Adele, for this interesting challenge.


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
This challenge is so much fun! I love the idea of Bumpadox so much I have to submit two tiles. I like Paradox and use it, but it's not one of my go-to tangles. Maybe just a little too linear for me? As soon as I saw Carole Ohl's step-outs for the variation, I knew it was for me. Looking at her "bumps," I thought they cried out for orbs in the center. So the first tile is from my sketchbook, where I sprinkled the orbs randomly in the triangles and then began the Paradox lines. As Bumpadox developed, it reminded me of Arukas, because I'm never really sure where that design is going to end up either. The second tile is a larger 6"x6" format. The string is in there somewhere, I promise. I randomly placed the orbs again and deliberately added some centered on the line forming the triangles where the fan shape would emerge. I also worked in a trio of partial Arukas. Such a calming, happy experience in an otherwise aggravating week. That is probably Zentangle's greatest gift...moments of tranquility. Thanks, Adele!





From Marjan Heemskerk (The Netherlands) ~
It was magic. You start drawing a string very carefully and when you are finished the string has disappeared completely.
I enjoyed the "Bumpy" ride :)



A very warm welcome to Anselm Peter (Berlin, Germany) - blog Link  ~
here is my tile for your "It's a string thing #228". Such a nice challenge, so less time to tangle :-)
 Welcome to our IAST community and welcome to our Tangled Map, Anselm ~


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~



From Karen Herstowski (Atlanta, Georgia) ~
Paradox and Bumpadox made for a challenging combo. I kept wanting to add some circles but chose instead to keep the linear look. Emphasis is given to the “bump” because it is the only round shape plus I put some extra weight on the bumps to call still more attention to them. Amazing opportunity to use shading techniques which took almost as long as the tangle itself. How much fun was this one???
Thanks to Rick and Carole for two wonderful tangles and to Adele, who is such a prolific tangler and endless source of “string” design!!



From Sue Leslie (Vadito, New Mexico) ~
My first Zentangle after getting cataract surgery in both eyes. Last eye done yesterday, and was able to do this today!! Oh what a difference in my vision. Thanks for the challenges and know I will be able to enjoy them more now that I can see better. This was a fun one as paradox has always been on of my favorite tangles. And adding bumpadox to it was fun.



From Jutta Gladnigg, CZT (Germany) ~
Thank you, Adele, for this cool challenge. I especially loved the string this time. So fitting! I even drew 3 tiles... This one is being done with a fountain pen for a change... filled with green ink. Fun bumpadoxing...
Your new ebook is fantastic! So many great ideas! What an amount of work and love you have put into it!!! I can recommend it to any tangler who wants to do something very, very special.



From Aileen (Singapore) ~
Thanks for another great challenge! Had to resist the urge to do a completely geometric tile!
Rainbows and raindrops in sunny Singapore



From Susan Theron (Velddrif, South Africa) ~



From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
Cheers for such a great prompt! Paradox never gets tired. Bumpadox promises so many “what if” moments ... one, two, or three sided bumps; multiple bumps per side; bumps from the exterior rather than interior; various locations on the line to place the first bump; the orientation of each Bumpadox fragment; combining Bumpadox with rounding, triangling, Paradox Tunnel, various other techniques. The mind boggles!
Cheers to Rick for sharing Paradox and to Carole Ohl for sharing Bumpadox and all its possibilities.



From Lynn G (Florida) ~
It was such a fun challenge.



From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
...Rather hasty attempt but Bumpadox will become part of my favourites in the future. Thank you to Carol and Rick.


This is my tile ~
I added rounded edges and then began adding perfs to a few Bumpadox lines until I realized the ones I chose ran similar to the string lines - a happy coincidence. This was a dizzying delight to tangle.


And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...

Lovelygiraffe from Japan ~



Congratulations!
I have a little something coming in the mail for you.


Many thanks to Rick Roberts and Carol Ohl whose Paradox  and Bumpadox we have thoroughly enjoyed.

Thank you all for sending in your beautiful tiles.

As CZT Jutta Galdnigg noted above, our new eBook is full of ideas and lots of love.  
Click on the photo (very top right) for more information.  Thank you 💗

Stop by Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #229 !

2 comments:

  1. I am blown away by what everyone did here!!!! I am inspired by every beautiful piece!!! Thank you all for sharing your work❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a collective, very big, thank you for Bumpadox!

      Delete