Tuesday, August 1, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #205 Tiles

This week's string was inspired by my granddaughter's art work.  She will surely appreciate the windfall of beautiful tiles it influenced.  

Let's take a look...

Note: The tangle Pauline's Pigtail will be referenced as PP for this post.

The first tile arrived from Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
This week I have drawn two tangles to your challenge, one in black and white, one colored. Since I can’t decide which I like better, I send you both...I love your pattern Paula's pigtail very much and I like to use it. Often, I combine it with floral motives. Thank you for the challenge.



Tangled Tidbits -
*strokes of PP flow into the string lines and channels for Shattuck and Shard
*Shattuck rounds compliment Shard's angles


From Lily (Hungary) ~
...here is my tile for your weekly challenge. ZenHug
Tangled Tidbits - 
*shading accents the curved variation of Shard
*delightful details - weighted aura, detail lines, highlights, alternating brown and black tangles


From Meridiana, CZT (Massachusetts) and here on her blog ~


Tangled Tidbits - 
*spiraled sections weave around the emphasized string lines
*channels for Shattuck flow with the spiral


From Anita A Westin (Dalarna, Sweden) and here on her blog ~
For this challenge I tried to work on a zendala. I liked the string and the patterns a lot and I wanted to keep this simple. Thank´s Adele for one more great challenge! I show a before shading-pic...

Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty PP center - lovely curves
*touches of Shard alternate with sparkled and weighted lined Shattuck


From Vonnie Schneider (St. Paul, Minnesota) ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a rainbow of tangles - each with its own lighter highlight
*pretty layers of PP


From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
So sad, our trip to Italy is really over! Oh well you gave us some fun Tangles to work with this week, I sang Perry Como's "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie" doing the Shards!Thanks for all your efforts.
Tangled Tidbits - 
I just may have to make a return trip to Italy for more material :)
*layers of wispy golden hued PP
*shading of layers adds great depth the Shard and Shattuck


A very warm welcome to Jennifer Wilken (Highland Mills, New York) ~
Hi Adele! This is my first submission! Thanks for the opportunity to challenge myself. I'll admit that when I looked at Shard, I first thought "ack! It's so angular and asymmetrical! What am I going to do with that?!? I'm a smooth flowy orb kind of girl." But I ended up having a lot of fun with it, as it's not a fussy preplanned kind of tangle.
Tangled Tidbits - 
That is a great description of Shard, thank you.
*sweet Shattuck center of PP
*multiple channels for Shard
Welcome to our IAST community and to our Tangled Map, Jennifer!



From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Attached is my tile for ‘It’s A String Thing # 205’ challenge.
Another lovely idea for this week’s challenge, inspired by your adorable little Grand-daughter Pauline,
and you have every right to be the proud Grandma that you are. Such a precious little one.
Thanks, Adele.
Tangled Tidbits - 
Your note will make her smile :)
*movement of PP carried through the curls of Shattuck
*Shard details worked from the outer edges inward

From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*dark tipped PP and dark string lines
*single large Shard sections and long arcs of Shattuck - all softly shaded


From Barbara Steyer (Germany) ~
sometimes there is not a minute to draw, because other things and circumstances fix my awareness.
This week I feel free to follow your challenge.
The string reminds me of the sun and so it got gold colors.
This was fun with two new pattern to me.
Thank you also for your story about your journey to Rom🙏🏼
Greetings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits - 
*golden touches on the string lines and centers of multiple PP
*dark sections of Shattuck anchor the center string circle


From Hilary (Chicago) ~
Here's my tile for this week. I really like the string you chose, I can see using it again and again. I chose to place Pauline's Pigtail in the center because that seemed the best spot for it. I hope Pauline enjoys being the center of attention this week! Then I just alternated the other two patterns. Probably not the most original idea, but I think it's an idea that worked.
I loved your idea for last week, it was so fascinating seeing which patterns everyone chose. I learned a few new ones and revisited some I haven't seen for awhile. Great fun!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*large, dark centers for Shard - great contrast for the colorful, curly Shattuck
*fine lined PP 


From Susie (Thailand) and here on her blog ~
Here my contribution to your 205th IAST challenge. The thee tangles, Pauline’s Pigtail, Shard, and Shattuck I placed anywhere on the tile, but I took your string, slightly altered, and placed it on top of it. So all requested items are accounted for.



Tangled Tidbits -
*an ingenious use of the string, highlights, and shading
*Shattuck curves overlap, touches of PP curves in beautiful blues


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Thank you for a lovely sunny challenge.


Tangled Tidbits -
*PP repeats from center to three corners
*Shattuck and Shard share channel lines



From Lin H, CZT (Florida) ~
Thanks for your latest challenge. Shard and Pauline's Pigtail were both new tangles for me and I love them both. I drew my sunshine string a bit off axis but wanted to add some yellow for a shine anyway.
Tangled Tidbits -
*a bit of black graces all three tangles along with an even spacing of the lines
*shading and color add depth to PP and the string lines


From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) ~
Thank you Adele for another fun challenge! This was my first time drawing "Shattuck" all around in a circle and somehow it created a slightly different look than my usual Shattuck . Then as I added "Pauline's Pigtail in the center I had fun trying to create a gem around it and then "Shard" encasing it.
Tangled Tidbits -
*a Shard rimmed PP filled center - like a beautiful broach!
*billowing layers of Shattuck, shaded and highlighted


From Aileen (Singapore) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*Shattuck curves flow from the border inward
*sparkled Aquafleur center


From Priscilla DeConti, CZT (Kingston, New York) ~
I am having fun getting used to using a string, which I didn't before.
Two new tangles and an oldie made for a good challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*shading defines the string lines
*curved and straight lined Shattuck - with a just a bit of Paradox


From Tonia (Rhode Island) ~
#shard, #Shattuck, #florz, #perfs, #Pauline's Pigtail. Loved the picture of Pauline! My sister had one pigtail like Pauline, but it was on top of her head and looked like a sprinkler. Great string and tangle! Thanks Adele!
Tangled Tidbits -
I love that sweet image - little pigtails are so cute.
*multiple PP
*detailed shading of Shattuck adds depth


From VenaC (Ontario, Canada) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*perfs and aura add fancy touches to the outer lines of Shard
*mirrored curves of Shattuck and a soft center PP


From Mariam G (Port Hueneme, California) ~
I just love Pauline's Pigtail - it always brings a smile to my face! Thank you for including it in this week's challenge. Would love to have done even more with it...I think I'll put it on my list of tangles to explore further in the next week or so.

Tangled Tidbits -
*PP rises above the tangles - wonderful detail to draw them behind PP
*detailed shading and luscious layers of Shard


From Sra (India) ~
Here's my entry for the latest round.

Tangled Tidbits -
*radiant Shattuck
*free floating Shard, each shaded along the outer edges
'

From Rhonda Roy (British Columbia, Canada) ~
Here is my tile for IAST#205. I saw someone do Shard a little earlier this week and had planned to try it out, so this gave me the chance.
Enjoyed this week's challenge - thanks!
Tangled Tidbits -
*PP layered atop all the tangles - wonderful details beneath it raise it above
*creative variation of Shattuck


From Pat (Washington State) ~
Somehow Shattuck got away from me! But I went with the flow. Enjoyed the Challenge and your Granddaughter is beautiful!
Tangled Tidbits -
That is called a creative variation!
*tapered string lines add sense of depth
*highlighted PP curves and curls


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
Well, I played and played with Pauline's Pigtail, and I'm sure the end result is much more "regular" than the designer may have intended (insert smile face), but in the end I'm just a "regular" gal. To my credit, I drew the wisps of hair one after the other without plotting them out or measuring. There's hope for me yet.
However, I did make Pauline's gloriously wonky string more symmetrical. Baby steps.
I did enjoy playing with Shard (of course making it more regular). It reminds me a lot of Puf, which is one of my favorites because of the "magic" 3-D effect when you join the corners. Just now I went to Tanglepatterns and looked up Puf and sure enough it's also by Carole Ohl.
So my plan was to alternate "spokes" of Shard and Shattuck, but playing in a notebook I did the four Shard ones and really liked the kind of pinwheel effect. So instead, I "Shardified" the Shattuck, or "Shattuck-ified" the Shard. I suppose "hybridized" would be a more efficient way to express it.
Tangled Tidbits -
I cannot read those last two sentences without laughing out loud - thank you Sue.  I nominate it for the IAST Comments Hall of Fame.  There isn't one yet, but now I am certain there must be one.  Anyone second the notion?!
*very pretty pinwheel effect
*alternating sparkled and shaded sections of PP


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Fun string and tangles! My tile got a little busy, and I almost lost Pigtail completely. Shard is new to me and super fun to draw. Even though it looks like Bunzo in the top section, it's actually Shattuck filled in and sparkly.
Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkled and striped Shattuck does have a Bunzo look to it
*string lines flow from PP


From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
Quite an interesting set of patterns for this string.
Tile #1 evolved nicely, I think, and I was quite pleased enough with it alone. But then today ...
Yesterday my husband took my car to have it washed and all shiny-apple waxed. The windows were so clean and reflective that a dragonfly spent half the morning trying unsuccessfully to romance its mirrored image (poor thing), and the sun shining upon the windshield cast a brilliant haloed orb with extending rays ... hum ... And thus Tile #2 was born, my rendition of the morning sun, and my homage to unrequited love.
I have read and re read your eloquent description, each time with greater appreciation of your wit and writing, Marla - a sure shoe-in for the yet-to-be established IAST Comments Hall of Fame...

Tangle Tidbits -
*PP spirals outward and curves become channels for Shattuck
*same curves tuck under Shard sections adding to the sense of layering
*PP variation features layers of three pronged curves
*repeating directions for Shard and Shattuck in alternating sections


From Felicity Strohfeldt (Velddrif, South Africa) and here on her blog ~
To Tile 205, this week’s challenge. Looked so straightforward at first glance, surprise, I mulled for some time before things gelled and the work started to blossom. The end - result is very satisfying to my eye. Your Pauline’s Pigtail proudly took centre stage and Shard by Carol Ohl became a stable base for the composition. Strangely Shattuck by Maria Thomas took some thought and deliberate effort to proceed slowly at first. In the end it became a lovely peacock feathery background for PP, all in all it could pass as a spinning “Catherine Wheel” at a fireworks display. Enjoyed the experience as always. Thank you for a wonderful Zenperience as always. Happy tangling week to you and all the other participants.
Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful movement and flow to the tangles
*straight lined channels for Shard ground the flowing, curved Shattuck and PP


From Lynn G (Florida) ~
Many thanks to you and Pauline for this weeks challenge. Love Pauline's Pigtail.
Tangled Tidbits -
*PP all dressed in white surrounded by a shaded string circle
*single touches of Shard and two variations of Shattuck



And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...

Debbie Raaen  of Trondheim, Norway!

Debbie wrote:
After my last try with tranzending I decided to give it another go, this time using the string to do so. Added a little tipple to the three allotted tangles to define the middle.
Thank you for this challenge. A fun one!

Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkled, multi-layered PP
*darkened spaces and highlights along with Tipple surround make PP pop
*overlapping Shard - free of its channel lines - graces the border
*mirrored Shattuck
*string lines are shaded and highlighted


Congratulations, Debbie!
I have a little some thing coming in the mail for you.


Many thanks to everyone for sending in your precious tiles.  You inspire all of us and help build this wonderfully supportive IAST community.

Kudos to the creators of the tangles we used this week along with my string and 

Shard by Carole Ohl

Shattuck by Maria Thomas


Continued thanks for the compliments on the posts of my "Paper Pilgrimage" to Fabriano, Italy.  It was a thrill to take you along for the trip ♡.

Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #206!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the round-up, Adele! And last week's too, I missed acknowledging it. - Sra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks Adele. That was a very pleasant surprise! I sent my tile in quite early and started to wonder where it was whilst looking at all the others, only to find it at the end. Well chuffed! There were so many wonderful ideas in these tiles this time. I think I learnt some great things from the others here about placement, size etc. Thanks again for all the work you do for the challenges every week. You're a real gem! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that you were delighted. Thank you again for joining in the fun and inspiring us all.

      Delete
  3. I am going to attempt to post my first ever post this week after being a lurker here. Does it have to be on a 3.5 x 3.5 tile? I have been using quiet meditation time doing small 2x2 tiles. Hi Sue Agnew, I am in Tucson too. Take Care, Jill

    Take Care, Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Great news!
      The square 3.5" is the standard size of a tile, but you may submit any size.

      Delete