Thursday, August 21, 2014

Tips for Tangling Paradox

Paradox - by definition is made up of two opposite things that basically make the seemingly impossible, possible.

Take for instance this tangle by the same name.  It uses only straight lines and yet it yields curves.
(Click here to see my 11/1 post.)

At the same time, it seems simple to draw, yet many of my students struggle in their efforts with it.

There are some wonderful resources available online - Maria Thomas' own step outs along with CZT Margaret Bremner's fabulously informative post of the tangle and Linda Farmer's write up that includes all of these resources in one place.

What I offer here is a very basic step out for the pattern.  A little baby step that has proven very helpful to my students, so I pass it along in hopes that it helps you...

Tips for Tangling by Adele Bruno, CZT



The repeating of the words "point" and "space" as you tangle helps build a rhythm, makes concentration easier, and helps to "get your zen on" as someone wrote recently :)

ENJOY!















4 comments:

  1. Point and Space, good idea! I'll try to remember that next time I'm teaching it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret - and thank you for that amazing post about the pattern. I've read it three times already :)

      Delete
  2. You are an amazing teacher. Thank you so much for the step-outs that you provide for the various patterns. They are such an enormous help and I greatly appreciate your kindness and generosity in providing them. - Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. In preparing to do this week's 'challenge' I was revising how to tangle Schway and came across a 'tip' from Rick with regard to doing Paradox. Up until now I have drawn Paradox in the way you describe above - from Point (corner) to Space (near corner) but have had some trouble with irregular line spacing; Rick suggests going from Space to Corner as this makes line spacing easier and if your "aim" is a bit off it's not so obvious. Cheers n Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete